Down with the sickness...

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sick baby :-(
I've been MIA, I know. Clara has continued to be sick since the post last week. She has been having diarrhea and vomiting at least once every day for a week. At first, there was worry from her doctor that she could have a blocked bile duct since her stool was white. (Bilirubin is excreted by your bile duct and makes your poop brown). She's continued to have white/pale stools. She has been on a diet of banana, applesauce, and rice cereal, and clear liquids.

Today, for seemingly no reason, she started screaming. I checked her all over and couldn't find anything. I changed her diaper and found a small amount of diarrhea and blood. I took her to the ER. After 2 hours of waiting, we finally saw a doctor. He was concerned that her bowel was overlapping since the blood was dark and mucous-y. He did a rectal exam, blood work, and x-rays. (That's her 4th set of x-rays in the last 3 months.) The x-rays showed that her bowel was not overlapping. I wasn't given a reason for the blood in her stool. Her blood work came back fine, and nothing is elevated. The consulting doctor told me that she needs to be on a diet of clear liquids and banana/applesauce/rice cereal. I explained to him that she has been, since she's had diarrhea for over a week. He wasn't aware that she's had diarrhea since the original doctor hadn't told him. He never addressed her continued diarrhea (or the pale color) or vomiting, and I was told to keep her on the same diet.
It could be a virus, but I'm concerned about the blood in her stool and her continued diarrhea and vomiting. She's not dehydrated in the least, and she has not had a fever.

After 5 hours in the hospital, she was not diagnosed. I have no answers.

I think that I'm going to give it 48 hours, and if she doesn't start having regular bowel movements, I'm going to take her to the children's hospital an hour away.

Your thoughts? Any advice? I could really use some.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

go to DeVos. Best place EVER!

Livin' The Dream Momma said...

I would take her to DeVos. They are great up there & will help you get answers! Let me know if we can do anything for you guys!!

Livin' The Dream Momma said...

I woulf take her to DeVos. They are great up there & will help you get some answers. Let me know if we can do anything for you guys!!

Post a Comment

Clara and I would LOVE to hear what you think. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...