Car seat Re-cover

Thursday, January 12, 2012

I decided it was time to buy a car seat. I found this one on clearance, but I didn't like the print. I'm rather picky as far as baby items go.. (well, most things in general). I don't like specific "girl" or "boy" prints, and nothing with circus, safari, etc. After all, I'm the one who has to be seen with them. Baby things could be neon, for all Clara cares. So, after finding such a steal, I decided I would make it my own.
This was my first big sewing project, other than a baby sling for my friend, Kathy. So, it was a bit of an undertaking. I took before and after pictures, but non of the actual process, so sorry. If this project is something you're interested in, but you're not very crafty, let me know! I'd be happy to help if you live near me. Or, if you'd like one done for you, I'm taking custom orders.
I followed this diy tutorial I found on Pinterest. Happy sewing!

The before:

Not really a fan of the print. Or pink.




All of my fabric was purchased at jo-ann fabrics. I used a flannel for the print and a fleece for the solid. I started by taking pictures of every little detail just in case I had issues telling how the pieces fit back together. 
Using a seam ripper, I detached the main (printed) material from the outer material. I then detached the separate printed pieces from each other. 
The tutorial I followed has you separate the fabric from the padding and making your own pattern. My guess is that you would get a better fit that way. Because of the way the padding was attached to the fabric, I just covered the existing fabric with the stuff I chose. 
When the printed stuff was done, I moved on to the outer piece, which I did all as one. The tricky part was sewing to leave room for the elastic. I didn't want to take the elastic off, and then have it not gather in the appropriate places. 
When I was done with the outer covering, I sewed everything back together. 


Here is the finished product:



Please let me know what you think!

 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

CUTE! I am not big on pink for girls either and am suuupppeerrr picky about things like this. That is awesome! Good work!

Post a Comment

Clara and I would LOVE to hear what you think. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...